17 Brilliant Makeup Hacks That Every Girl Should Know:
Post contains affiliate links
Trying out all of the hottest new beauty products can get really expensive. So, instead of jumping on the latest fads, I’ve rounded up the most brilliant beauty hacks that use inexpensive items that you probably already have at home. Most of these beauty hacks will cost less than $10 to try and actually work!
1. Turn a pencil eyeliner into a gel formula with a lighter.
Hold your eyeliner pencil (which usually creates a thin, hard to apply line) under the flame of a lighter for one second. Let it cool for 15 seconds and watch the consistency change before your eyes. Glide on your newly-made gel liner for an instant smudgier formula.
2. Shade your eyelid with white liner to make any eyeshadow shade POP.
If you are dealing with a sheer or less pigmented eyeshadow that you want to appear bolder on your eyelid, take a white eyeliner pencil and run it over your entire eyelid. The opaque consistency of the liner will intensify any eyeshadow shade and make it instantly pop against your skin.
3. Save $35+ by using a silicone oven mitt dupe to clean your makeup brushes.
You may see some of your favourite beauty Youtubers recommending the Sigma silicone mitt for cleaning your makeup brushes. But rather than pay $39, you can get a dupe for it at the dollar store! Pick up a silicone oven mitt that is just as effective and will save you over $35!
4. Hit your eyelash curler with a hair dryer to heat it up so your lashes curl easily.
Blowing hot air on your eyelash curler will help your lashes curl more easily and stay curled for a longer period of time. It works the same way that heat changes the pattern of your hair and holds a curl with a curling iron. To do it, hit the lash curler with your hairdryer until it heats up. Wait until it cools slightly but is still warm, and then clamp down on the lashes to curl them.
5. Use a dusting of translucent powder in between mascara coatings to plump your lashes.
The translucent powder helps grip the mascara between coats, leaving you lashes appearing much fuller.
6. Apply eyelash glue to false lashes with the tip of a bobby pin.
Use the tip of a bobby pin to evenly disperse the glue along the base of the false lashes. Wait 30 seconds for the glue to become tacky, then apply your lashes.
7. For long-lasting lip colour, swipe on your lipstick, then lay a Kleenex tissue over your mouth, then dust translucent powder over it with a makeup brush to set the colour.
This process may seem a little over-the-top, however, the payoff is worth it. Not only does the translucent powder set a bold shade making it extra long-wearing, but the tissue acts as a shield to protect your lip colour from lightning or losing vibrancy.
8. Mix loose pigments with a salve or petroleum jelly to make your own custom lip gloss.
If you have loose eyeshadow pigments that not only look beautiful on your eyes but would make a stunning lip gloss, blend it with a little petroleum jelly in a spoon and you instantly have an amazing new lip gloss.
9. Conceal dark circles and puffy eyes by creating an upside down triangle with your concealer.
You may have been taught to dot concealer under your eyes, but the easiest and most effective way is to actually apply it in an upside-down triangle (Top of the triangle pointing downwards). This shape helps conceal any redness at the bottom of your eye and at the sides. It instantly creates the illusion that your face is lifted since the brightest point is the most intense under your eye.
10. Needing to blot your face in a pinch? Use a toilet seat cover.
Yes, I know this sounds gross, but both blotting papers and toilet seat covers are pretty much made out of the same fabrics and will help soak up any excess oil on your skin.
11. Use panty liners as a Shadow Shields dupe.
Don’t you hate it when you’ve perfectly applied your foundation and face makeup and then you go to do a smokey eye and get eyeshadow all over your cheeks? Well, they invented Shadow Shields to solve just that problem. However, they had their own problem – they were way too expensive. For a MUCH cheaper solution, you can cut off the ends of a cheap panty liner. Genius!
12. Apply a deep conditioner to your hair before working out or laying out in the sun.
You usually wear your hair back in a braid or a bun at these times anyway, so it’s perfect. Plus, the heat from the sun or workout will help the conditioner penetrate deep into your hair strands to be extra effective. You don’t need to use an expensive hair mask.
13. Exfoliate chapped lips with a disposable mascara wand.
To get unbelievably soft lips, you can use a disposable mascara wand and lip balm. This will exfoliate your lips and your lipstick will go on flawlessly.
14. Need to shave but don’t have time to shower? Use baby oil.
We’ve all done it. You are in a huge rush and already running late. Then, you realize your legs look stubbly and you need to shave. No! So, you splash a tiny bit of water on then or even worse dry shave (cringe). You immediately regret it as you’re driving and your legs are on fire. Instead, use baby oil next time! It will leave soft, smooth legs – no shower required.
15. Pull the end of a Q-tip to blend out your smokey eye.
Getting ready for a special evening event and realize you forgot your eyeshadow blending brush? Not to worry, this beauty hack will certainly come in handy. Simply pull on the end of the Q-tip until it looks a bit like cotton candy. Then, you can use it as an eyeshadow brush to create your gorgeous smokey eye look.
16. Store your eye cream in the refrigerator for extra anti-puffiness power.
This is one hack I swear by for fighting under eye puffiness.
17. Sleep with an extra pillow to fight under-eye puffiness.
The easiest way to combat puffy eyes is to prevent them from happening! You’ll be amazed at what adding an extra pillow when you sleep at night can do. It props you up so the fluids drain out of your face so you’ll wake up looking more refreshed and less puffy. Avoiding salty foods and drinking plenty of water will certainly help too.